Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from August 2009

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I am a school nurse and have an incoming kindergartner who uses a pump. An LVN will be at the school when I am not there. What kind of nursing assistance should this student have? Should I push for an LVN for the entire day to monitor and bolus when needed? (31 Aug 2009)

2. Because those with type 1 are more at risk for other autoimmune diseases, are they at risk for Guillain-Barré syndrome as a side effect of a flu shot? (28 Aug 2009)

3. Should all those with type 1 diabetes receive the pneumococcal vaccine? (28 Aug 2009)

4. Are you familiar with the herbal treatment called Segratax for the treatment of gastroparesis? Is it safe? My 23-year-old son is looking for treatment options. (27 Aug 2009)

5. Recently, my son has lost 10 pounds and has had abdominal pain and nausea. He has had elevated fasting blood sugars at home. Should I continue to check him, then ask for an A1c or ask for an A1c now? (27 Aug 2009)

6. Using my father-in-law's meter, my son had elevated fasting and random blood sugars. Tests by the doctor were all negative for diabetes. Does this mean I should no longer worry about the high blood sugars? (27 Aug 2009)

7. How common is it for children under the age of two to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? (27 Aug 2009)

8. My son attends a private Christian school. Is he covered by any laws? (27 Aug 2009)

9. Is there any truth to the story that Lantus causes cancer? What type of cancer? Should we switch from Lantus to Levemir? (27 Aug 2009)

10. My daughter has thyroid disease but the doctor doesn't want to treat it until her thyroid fails. What is thyroid disease? Why not treat it now? (26 Aug 2009)

11. I've been on Synthroid for two years, but I don't think it's helping me. My endocrinologist refused to put me on Armour because of antibodies. What does this mean? Is there any other medication I could take besides Synthroid? (26 Aug 2009)

12. Sometimes when my blood sugar is low, I lose the feeling around my mouth. Why? What is the difference between human and animal insulin? Does insulin really cause cancer as was reported recently? (19 Aug 2009)

13. Are people with type 1 allowed to consume alcoholic beverages? (19 Aug 2009)

14. We have been struggling since we learned a month ago that our daughter has type 1 and just received the results of the tests our doctor sent to the U.S. What do they mean? (9 Aug 2009)

15. My young son has had some of the symptoms of diabetes and has had two somewhat elevated blood sugars. Other than diabetes, what might cause such elevated blood sugars? Both my husband and his brother have type 1. (5 Aug 2009)

16. When I was sick, in June, my fasting blood sugar was 121 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. The doctor said it could mean pre-diabetes. Is this possible? Should I just eat better and exercise more? (5 Aug 2009)

17. Other than an A1c, what routine tests should have person with type 1 have? What role should the family doctor play regarding yearly check-ups? (4 Aug 2009)

18. Once, my toddler was shaking badly and had a fruity smell to her breath. Her blood sugar was 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L], then elevated after food. Why is she having elevated blood sugars? Is her TSH level normal? (3 Aug 2009)

19. Since starting to swim and jump on a trampoline in May, my daughter has lost about 6.5 inches from her waist, but has not lost weight. How can we further reduce her belly fat? (3 Aug 2009)

20. Since it looks like my daughter has ketotic hypoglycemia, does this rule out diabetes? Does it cause weight loss and higher levels of ketones even when the blood sugar is not that low? (2 Aug 2009)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts