Question:

From Pickering, Ontario, Canada:

Should all those with type 1 diabetes receive the pneumococcal vaccine? Now 20, my daughter has had type 1 since the age of six. We have been told it is not necessary unless there are other risk factors (missing spleen). However, I have read that diabetics are more prone to pneumonia and the vaccine is recommended. I am becoming more concerned as we hear more about the H1N1 virus and resulting pneumonia.

Answer:

The American Diabetes Association recommends that Pneumovax be given to those with diabetes, both type 1 and type 2. There is some evidence to suggest that people with diabetes have some increased risk for the development of bacterial pneumonia. Please discuss this with your physician.

Posted to Other and Other Illnesses