Question:

From Canal Fulton, Ohio, USA:

I understand that one of the rare side effects of the flu shot is Guillain-Barré syndrome. Since individuals with type 1 diabetes are more at risk for other autoimmune diseases, can I assume that my child will have more of a risk of this side effect with the flu shot?

Answer:

There is no evidence of which I am aware of any different side effect profile with or without diabetes when getting flu shots. The autoimmune disorders more likely with type 1 diabetes are Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Addison's, celiac, and/or pernicious anemia, not Guillain-Barré.