Question:

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

Is there a resource for helping explain to the coach the intricate needs of a soccer player with diabetes? My 16-year-old is a soccer goalie and we are looking for very straight forward and easy to understand information focusing on the need for testing, time for treatment of highs or lows, mental aspect of diabetes and sports, etc.

Answer:

For anyone that is starting from scratch when it comes to understanding diabetes and the needs an athlete with diabetes has, there is no better book then Dr. Colberg's The Diabetic Athlete. I believe this book is a great read not only for those with diabetes, but for those who might be coaching them. I read The Diabetic Athlete in graduate school when I felt completely alone with my own diabetes. There's been so much change in how we manage diabetes, the book is now in its second edition! Not only is Dr. Colberg an author, but she's a renowned lecturer, researcher, professor, and exercise physiologist. Dr. Colberg also has a web site where you may find additional information.

BF

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Other