Question:

From Florida, USA:

My 11-year-old daughter has been waking up for the past week with nausea and stomach cramps and typically vomits two to four times each morning. If she is able to go back to sleep for an hour, it will subside. Last week, she also had diarrhea, but that does not to appear to be an issue now. She refuses to eat or drink in the morning. If she isn't able to go back to sleep, it will typically subside in two to four hours on its own. I have tried the BRAT (bananas, rice, apples, toast) diet but it did not make a difference. My grandmother has adult onset diabetes and I'm wondering if there is any chance my daughter's blood sugar is dropping when she is sleeping and she is possibly developing diabetes. She has not lost weight despite the episodes. She occasionally mentions dizzy/blurred vision or feeling light headed. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

This certainly doesn't sound like typical diabetes. A few laboratory tests will help a lot and can diagnose diabetes. There are a myriad of other diagnoses besides diabetes. It is time to see your doctor. I tell people that the Internet and web sites like this one need a lot of information and also are directed at a specific condition...in this case, diabetes. See your doctor soon.