Question:

From Dallas, Georgia, USA:

My six-year-old son has had type 1 diabetes for five years and has been very well controlled with a pump for three years. Since moving to Georgia two years ago, he has been diagnosed with asthma, pneumonia and multiple food/environmental allergies. He seems to catch the flu and infections easily. Are there any ways to improve his immune system? I have been researching supplements and vitamins and have started him on probiotics, omega 3 supplements and multivitamins. Is there any other way to strengthen his immune system? Am I wasting my time and money with natural supplements? I can handle the diabetes but not all these other infections. HELP!

Answer:

Your son might benefit from a visit to a pediatric allergist who can help you sort out the true allergies from any suspected problems. They can also direct you to any appropriate supplements. The VAST majority of supplements marketed have no real benefit to anyone except the person trying to sell it to you. You might also speak with your pediatrician about the supplements you're using since some can actually be dangerous for children.