Question:

From Napa, California, USA:

My son also has asthma and I was wondering if the Albuterol or Flovent is affecting his blood sugar. Also, can I give my son Delsym for his cough? I gave him this and it seemed to help, but the school nurse told me that one of the ingredients is high fructose corn syrup so it is not good for diabetics. My son is using NovoLog and Lantus insulins.

Answer:

Many cold medications are labeled not to be used for children with diabetes. Often, during an illness, a child will have higher blood sugars from the illness, which can be made worse by a medication that can increase blood sugars. The best advice is not to use those medications that are labeled with warnings for people with diabetes. In reality, what most folks do is use those medications in moderation, and with caution, and keep closer track of blood sugars during illness -- being more aggressive with controlling any high blood sugars that may be encountered.

Regarding asthma medications, Albuterol typically will not affect blood sugars to any large degree. Flovent is an inhaled steroid and is a good choice for preventing problems with asthma. It can occasionally have a relatively minor effect on blood sugars, potentially causing slightly higher blood sugars. This class of medications is typically used without concern in kids with type 1 diabetes. I would review any changes to your medications that you're considering with your physician.

Posted to Other Medications and Other Illnesses