Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

I have had type 1 for 20 years and have just started taking 400 mg of magnesium and 1000 mg of fish oil daily. Do these cause possible rises in blood glucose? I have been having unexplainable low and high levels this week and am wondering about these supplements. Also, what are some alternative methods to treating mild depression other than anti-depressants (i.e., SSRIs)? SSRIs also cause terrible side effects and blood glucose problems for me, so I'm trying to find other solutions.

Answer:

I do not see any cause and effect relationship between increasing blood pressure and intake of magnesium or fish oil. As far as depression, it has been shown that people who are up exercising more often have less depression. I have not been convinced that herbal therapy for depression has been helpful or has been documented as being successful in published studies.

Posted to Other Medications and Hyperglycemia and DKA