From Arlington, Texas, USA:

My daughter has been having frequent sick days. Her first one was about a year after she was diagnosed. A year later, she had another one. Both times, she was hospitalized for two days. Now that we understand what is happening better, we have been able to control them and get her blood sugar back to normal within half a day or so. She seems to be having sick days about once a week now. We took her in for her check-up last week. They adjusted her insulin ratio. She started feeling sick again night before last. I am worried and don't understand why this is happening so often. The nurse said it is because of her hormones. She is about to be 13. This is her fourth day to miss school already this year. I'm so frustrated and trying to do everything right and just feel like a bad mom!

I'm not sure what you mean by sick days. Kids have frequent viral illness -- usually clustered in the winter months. If you feel that she is having excessive illness, I would review that with your pediatrician. If you believe that her diabetes care is not where it should be, please talk with your diabetes team.

Posted to Sick Days