Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from October 2009

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Is there any new research regarding infant formula and the early onset of type 1 diabetes? (31 Oct 2009)

2. My son has MODY 2. Is it safe for him to get the H1N1 nasal spray vaccine or should he have the shot? I have gotten conflicting opinions. (31 Oct 2009)

3. My son has been feeling ill for a couple of days, with a backache and metallic taste in his mouth. I am concerned about kidney disease. What are the symptoms of such? (27 Oct 2009)

4. Can extreme dizziness and shortness of breath be caused by high blood sugars? My doctor thinks so. (26 Oct 2009)

5. Where can I find resources to help a type 1 diabetic student cope better with his/her emotional needs? (26 Oct 2009)

6. Diagnosed six months ago, our toddler's blood sugars continue to vary from one extreme to the other on a daily basis. We are worried about the effects on his body. Do you have any advice? (23 Oct 2009)

7. After a summer of feeling better, my son wakes most days vomiting and with a headache. Do you know of a disease that co-exists with type 1 and causes pancreatic problems? How can I prevent my son's morning vomiting and headaches? (23 Oct 2009)

8. My teen daughter maintains an A1c between 6.8 and 7.0. She works out, but struggles with her weight. Is it true that those with tight control tend to weigh more? (23 Oct 2009)

9. All three of my children had fasting blood sugars from 116 to 131 mg/dl [6.4 to 7.3 mmol/L] at the pediatrician's office. The doctor is very concerned and wants them seen by an endocrinologist very soon. Are their levels indicative of diabetes? (23 Oct 2009)

10. My daughter disconnects her pump for soccer. She is often low at half time, corrects, then goes high after the game. What do you recommend? It just doesn't make sense for her to bolus at the half if she's low. (22 Oct 2009)

11. My 22-year-old son was just diagnosed. He is depressed and doesn't want to seek medical help. What can I do to help him? What kinds of foods can he have? (18 Oct 2009)

12. Just diagnosed, my two-year-old has been put on a 1200 calorie diet, including one egg daily. How will this affect her cholesterol? Her blood sugars are still elevated. What do you advise? (18 Oct 2009)

13. As a high school soccer player, is my son legally allowed to wear his identification bracelet during games? (15 Oct 2009)

14. Given the reports of how dangerous it is for diabetics and other individuals with chronic illnesses to be exposed to the H1N1 virus, what kind of precautions should they take? Is there really a cause for alarm or is it media hype? (15 Oct 2009)

15. What is the best time of day to take a Lantus injection? (15 Oct 2009)

16. What are the effects of low blood sugars on a fetus? My doctors have talked about the dangers of highs, but not the lows. (15 Oct 2009)

17. My identical twin and I both have type 1. I have gastroparesis, while she has celiac. As twins, am I doomed to get celiac and is she doomed to get gastroparesis? (12 Oct 2009)

18. Two years after diagnosis, it now takes our daughter longer to come down from a high and up from a low. Why would this be happening? How can we increase her reaction times? (12 Oct 2009)

19. Since her diagnosis with type 1, my daughter has been throwing angry fits and it's affecting her school. Is this something caused by her taking insulin? (9 Oct 2009)

20. I am a nurse, using a pump, working a 12 hour night shift. Can I remain healthy with diabetes while having no consistency in my sleep/wake schedule? Can working nights be detrimental to my long-term health? (7 Oct 2009)

21. Can NPH insulin make a child become tired and weak in knees even though his blood sugar is 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]? (6 Oct 2009)

22. Is it possible to infuse magnesium sulfate (in solution) subcutaneously via insulin pump and would it work in a consistent manner? (4 Oct 2009)

23. I am a triathlete. When I reduce my insulin before racing to reduce lows near the end of races, I go too high. On my usual dose, I go low. What do you suggest I do? (4 Oct 2009)

24. I was diagnosed with type 2 in 1978, but it went away when I lost weight. Now, GAD testing indicates I have LADA. Did I really have type 2 before or did I really have LADA all along? (4 Oct 2009)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts