From Rathdrum, Idaho, USA:

Just a few months ago, I found out that I am going to have my first child. My husband and I couldn't be more excited and, yet, worried at the same time. I have a good control of my diabetes and am doing every measure possible to make sure that the baby is happy and healthy. However, while all my doctors have stressed the dangers of too many high blood sugars, they never say anything about lows. Lately, with all the changes to my body and mind (I am a cranky pregnant woman), I have had several low blood sugars ranging in the 40s mg/dl [2.2 to 2.7 mmol/L] and 50s mg/dl [2.9 to 3.2 mmol/L] and, to make it worse, I cannot tell I have a low until I check my blood sugars, which mean I don't know how long I have had the low. I am still finding the correct dosage to cure this problem, but will these low blood sugars hurt my child? And, how likely is it my child will have diabetes?

If you could answer my question, I would be so very thankful because, as you know, my stressing on the subject isn't a good idea.

I cannot find any information about hypoglycemia and its effect on the developing embryo in humans. There is some animal data on the effect on heart development, but linking that to the human fetus has not been done. This is difficult to study in humans. The occasional low blood sugar is probably not a problem. Nevertheless, I encourage you to do your best to manage your blood glucose levels. I am concerned about excessive control and profound hypoglycemia to the point that you require resuscitation. Thus, once you are out of the first trimester, then I would tolerate less strict control if you are prone to hypoglycemia. Still, strive for a fasting of 70 to 90 mg/dl (3.9 - 5.0 mmol/L), a premeal glucose less than 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) and a one hour postmeal less than 130 mg/dl (7.2 mmol/L). Of note is that glucose control seems to get easier in some women once they are out of the first trimester anyway.

Diabetes results from many causes. Thus, predicting if you child will have diabetes or not is difficult.

[Editor's comment: See also our previous questions on Genetics and Heredity. BH]

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Pregnancy