From DeKalb, Illinois, USA:

Are there any syndromes known to include a thiamine deficiency and diabetes in children? Our children were diagnosed with MODY and also show multiple white spots on their nails, which I was told is due to low thiamine.

I would be interested in many vitamin and mineral deficiencies as well as celiac antibody testing. Sometimes fungus also shows this way. An all purpose adult Centrum A-zinc is what we usually recommend since this gives somewhat more than basal replacement and frequently clears such nail spots nicely. Avoiding wheat/gliadin/gluten has also worked even without classical celiac and especially when only antigliadin antibodies are positive with other antibodies negative. This sometimes is called celiac variant or wheat allergy rather than classical celiac.

Posted to Other Illnesses and LADA and MODY