From Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

With the outbreak of swine flu in our local schools, I am extremely concerned about my son having to go to the nurse's office to test his glucose level and being exposed to viruses. The school does not want testing in the classroom, but can there be another alternative? I am sure that this a concern for all parents of children with diabetes. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Consider writing a provision in your child's Section 504 plan that allows your son to check his blood glucose level in the classroom or wherever he happens to be on campus. Involve your child's health care provider if you are encountering resistance from the school. If he needs assistance, talk with your school nurse about making an arrangement to have the school nurse or another trained school staff member come to your son's classroom (or wherever he happens to be) to help him. For more information, read our web page on School Discrimination or call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES.

Posted to Daily Care and School and Daycare