Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

My 15-year-old son was determined to have postural proteinuria a year ago by a pediatric nephrologist. He has been on an ACE inhibitor since he was 12 due to microalbuminuria determined by his endocrinologist. The nephrologist recommended my son stay on the ACE inhibitor and continue to have quarterly urinalysis. The ACE inhibitor helps keep the levels down. What he didn't say is if my son need to take the ACE inhibitor for the rest of his life. Does the protein leaked in the urine due to postural proteinuria disappear when the child reaches adulthood -- say in his 20s?

Answer:

Usually, such treatment is "for life" but, it depends upon the individual, A1c and daily glucose control, family susceptibilities, etc. Follow-up microalbumin levels will help determine the need. There is no standard protocol but many of us will try discontinuing such medications if there is a two to three year period of absolutely no microalbuminuria in the future.

Posted to Complications and Other Medications