From Bogota, Colombia:

Ten years ago, my doctor and I established a ratio in order to control high blood sugar levels: for each 20 mg/dl [1.1 mmol/L] above a maximum level of blood sugar, I have to inject one unit of lispro insulin (Humalog) The maximum level of blood sugar is different if I test my sugar level before or after a meal. However, lately, when I am using this ratio, I am experiencing hypoglycemia and I am afraid to use this scheme due to my hypoglycemia unawareness. Does this mean I have an issue with insulin acceptance?

No. I believe this indicates you may not need as much insulin as you once did. This could be because you have lost weight, eat better, or your sugars have been under good control for a while. The fact that you get low after what was once the usual amount of insulin is not a bad sign at all. However, you need to connect with your physician to review your dose. Most likely you will need less rapid-acting insulin with your meals.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Insulin Analogs