From Greeneville, Tennessee, USA:

When I read a previous question about using a pump to manipulate blood sugar levels, I was curious. Can someone tell me HOW the pump can be manipulated? I have a student on a pump who goes all over the place with his blood sugar, and I want to know what to look for IF his pump is being manipulated.

You want to look at the history of what the total daily doses are as well as what boluses are given and at what time.

Some teens do skip doses or bolus more than is needed for specific foods or blood sugars. Many times a teen needs some psychological help dealing with diabetes, issues at home or at school or the care has been handed to them before they are ready and the teen is acting out with insulin.

Teens who are growing very quickly can have very erratic blood sugars, so do not assume s/he is doing it on purpose.

You can call the maker of the insulin pump or go to their web site for instructions on getting the past insulin delivery out of the pump.

Posted to Insulin Pumps