From Tamilnadu, India:

Now 22, I've had type 1 since I was 12. I take insulin twice a day. I'm tired of all the injections. Is there any way I can get a "normal" life? I don't like talking about my disease with my classmates. Only my close friends know about my condition.

Also, I am very thin. How can I increase my weight?

Your decreased weight may be a sign of less than optimum blood sugar control. This is a concern to me. In the U.S., most of our patients are on more than two injections per day. Do you have access to a doctor with expertise in diabetes? If so, you may want to talk with them about intensifying your glucose control with four injections per day or an insulin pump. When you do not feel good, it is hard to get on with the other jobs of your life.

The other issue that I would bring up to you is that diabetes is associated with a high rate of depression. Sometimes, if you really have depression, treating the depression helps give you a new outlook on your life and what you have to do to treat your diabetes. In the big picture, it is about access to the health care you need. Make sure you discuss this with your doctor.

Posted to Mental Health and Weight and Weight Loss