From Chesapeake, Virginia. USA:

My 13-year-old daughter has had type 1 for four years. During a recently check-up that included routine blood work, my 16-year-old son had a fasting glucose of 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. His pediatrician was not concerned but wants to follow up in three months. If he is in the beginning stages of type 1, we would like him to be involved with all the research in keeping as many of his insulin producing cells for as long as possible. Should we be doing anything else at this point or just wait for the follow-up?

It would probably be wise to do some home blood glucose levels for two or three days - before and about one hour after meals to see what is going on. Also, it would be reasonable to discuss this with your diabetes team since they can give you better advice about what might be available from a research perspective, whether or not antibody testing is needed or other blood work.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Research: Other Research