From San Mateo, California, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on August 7, 2009. The last few months have been very trying and challenging not only for him but for our entire family. For the past month, his blood sugars have been out of control, in the 300 to 500 mg/dl [16.7 to 27.8 mmol/L] range. Of course, as his mother, this worries me a lot. I think my son is sneaking food when I fall asleep and also when he is at his daycare provider. What can I do about this very difficult situation? I've tried talking to my son and explaining that those numbers can make him feel bad, but I don't think I'm getting through to him! I talked to his doctor and her response was that it's just a number, that I shouldn't concentrate so much on that. I'm frustrated! What do you suggest?

It sounds like your son may actually be hungry, and feels he cannot eat as much as he may need to feel full. Instead of focusing on "sneaking" food, talk about making food choices and also about timing of eating. I would make sure that your son eats full meals so that at the end of the meal and at the end of the snack, he's actually full. If he walks away from the table feeling full (but not stuffed), he is less likely to eat when no one is watching. Your son can eat anything (as long as carbohydrates are counted and insulin is administered to cover it). So, once food becomes permissible, so that there's nothing that can be considered "sneaking," he is likely to stop eating without letting someone know about it.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Behavior