Question:

From Clear Lake, Iowa, USA:

My six-year-old is having fasting blood sugars of 127 to 129 mg/dl [7.1 to 7.2 mmol/L] and two hour postprandials of 150 to 160 mg/dl [8.3 to 8.9 mmol/L]. She is not obese. I have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed at age 30, and am not obese. Could a child this young have type 2 or could this be the beginning of type 1? Should I be concerned or not? My daughter is very thirsty and hungry and urinating a lot (having accidents at school).

Answer:

This is definitely abnormal and at least meets diagnostic criteria of glucose intolerance if not diabetes. You should consult with a pediatric diabetes specialist particularly since she has abnormal symptoms. They may want to do some pancreatic antibody tests to see if this is early phase of type 1 diabetes. There is some reason to make the diagnosis early since aggressive treatment to restore glucose balance may rest the damaged pancreas and may make it produce insulin longer - prolong the honeymoon phase. It may also be antibody negative early diabetes and there are some genetic forms of diabetes (MODY) or monogenic diabetes (which respond to pills instead of insulin). Knowing an exact diagnosis may allow better treatment here as well.