From Illinois, USA:

I just found out that my daughter has MODY instead of type 1 diabetes. What is the difference between the two? Also, what are the chances of someone with this type of diabetes going on the pills instead of insulin? Currently, she is receiving insulin so that her levels can be controlled.

It depends upon age of child/person, type of MODY, and how easy/difficult control is. Obviously, you should discuss this with your diabetes team since they will know these details and be able to provide specific and individualized advice. Some of the most difficult very young children treated with insulin really have forms of MODY and this is truly one of the modern "miracles" taking people off insulin, onto sulfonyurea pills and improving glucose control all at the same time.

[Editor's comment: See also our web page on MODY and What is Type 1 Diabetes?. BH]

Posted to LADA and MODY