Question:

From Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA:

My 12-year-old son was diagnosed type 1 about a year ago. His control has been good with Lantus and Humalog and a 5.3 A1c. He has been getting ill fairly regularly with the same symptoms, low grade muscle aches and the general feeling of nausea, but without vomiting. He has no fever or ketones but his glucose does rise over what is normal. This cycle goes on for one or two weeks, then he feels normal again. We are on the third cycle of these symptoms. Our diabetes team feels this is not related to type 1. What are your thoughts?

Answer:

I agree that it sounds like it is not likely related to diabetes. Your best option would be a thorough history and physical examination with your pediatrician.

Posted to Aches and Pains