Question:

From Albany, New York, USA:

I am an otherwise healthy adult with type 1 diabetes. My most recent a1c came in half a point lower than expected. I had donated blood six and a half weeks prior to the A1c being drawn. Could the blood donation have affected my A1c by that much?

Answer:

What does it mean that your HbA1c was a half percent less than expected? In general, blood donation decreases the circulating time of the red blood cells giving them less time to have the glucose attached. Therefore, blood donation may have the affect of causing a falsely low value.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c