Question:

From Yemen:

Lately, I get bored all the time, even more than before, even after getting the job I wanted. Is there any way this is related to diabetes?

When I eat protein, I get very thirsty. Why is this? The protein does not include sugar.

I have some scars that are not healing well. Is there some type of balm I could use?

Answer:

I am not sure why you are bored. However, diabetes is associated with depression. This is a very big problem all around the world, in relation to diabetes. What you may say is boredom may be symptoms of isolation or lack of initiative. If that is the case, I would ask your physician to talk with you about these symptoms.

As for the increased thirst with proteins, you would have to make sure that the foods you are eating are not also high in carbohydrates. If they are really isolated proteins, some proteins are converted to glucose in the body and may raise your blood sugars in a fashion more delayed that eating carbohydrates.

I am not sure about any type of salve that could be used on your wounds. Although people with diabetes are found to heal slowly when blood sugars are poorly controlled, this is not necessarily the case when blood sugars are well controlled. It is also important to keep wounds clean and give local care as they heal. This decreases the inflammation and cuts down on the scarring.

[Editor's comment: Remember, too, that excess salt and spices can also cause increased thirst. BH]