Question:

From New Baltimore, Michigan, USA:

Have you ever heard of a company called Pelikan Technologies? They just recently discontinued manufacturing a pain free electronic lancing device.This product is mechanically operated instead of spring loaded and my five-year-old daughter has said it has never hurt. She currently uses one and will continue to do so until we run out of lancets. We were very disappointed to see this was discontinued and were wondering if you were familiar with product.

The reason for me inquiring about this is because I've never met anyone that knew about this product and I truly believe it wasn't marketed properly. So,,I'm wondering if they are researching and developing something new, which I truly hope is the case because I can't stand seeing my daughter in pain. Do you know if the company is planning something else?

Answer:

Yes, I am familiar with the Pelikan lancing device and I am aware that they have stopped making it.

There are several lancing device alternatives that you might consider when you run out of Pelikan lancets. First, I highly recommend the Multiclix from Roche, which is the only lancing device right now that never has an exposed sharp. Second, a company called Tiniboy offers a very short lancet that fits traditional lancing devices.

JSH

Posted to Other and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections