Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from April 2010

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. What is my son's risk of developing diabetes? He had glucose in his urine at the doctor's office. At the ER, his blood glucose was normal, but the pediatrician has suggested a consultation with a pediatric endocrinologist. (30 Apr 2010)

2. Do you know of any documentation or studies on the effects of steroids on blood glucose control? I am looking for information I can include in my appeal for a CGM. (27 Apr 2010)

3. At a recent check-up, my daughter's fasting blood sugar was slightly elevated. She has lost weight in the past 11 months, despite no dietary change. Should I take her to a pediatric endocrinologist to discuss insulin resistance? (27 Apr 2010)

4. For years, I tried to keep my blood sugars between 70 and 90 mg/dl [3.9 and 5.0 mmol/L], with an A1c <6. My new diabetes team has suggested I aim for an A1c of 7. Do you agree that this is a little high? I recognize that my blood sugar range was too low resulting in hypoglycemia unawareness, but, in part, my lows were related to no one changing basal rates after I lost 130 pounds. (27 Apr 2010)

5. My daughter's blood sugar goes up when she arrivees at school. She does a correction, but it takes a while to work, then she drops quickly. What do you think is causing the highs? The doctor wants her back on a pump, but, after three weeks, has not called in the prescription. What do you recommend? (27 Apr 2010)

6. Our grandson's infusion set has come out several times. Is there some type of band or sleeve he can use to prevent this? (26 Apr 2010)

7. Where can my daughter find answers to sex related questions, to find help for the many aspects of female sexuality that are affected by diabetes? (26 Apr 2010)

8. Having participated in a Navigator study, we are confident we can use a Medtronic sensor without training, but can you help us determine where we should put the sensor on our thin child? (26 Apr 2010)

9. Is there any reason my son, who has type 1, should not get LASIK surgery? Could it work against him in the future? (14 Apr 2010)

10. My son is on a very strict diet because of his autism. Other than diet, exercise and vigilance, how can I work to lower his A1c? It has come down in the past six months, but I want to work to lower it. (9 Apr 2010)

11. Though he doesn't have the usual symptoms of type 1, my toddler has been having some elevated blood sugars. Could this be the start of type 1? Does type 1 come on slowly sometimes or is it always a sudden onset? (9 Apr 2010)

12. What are the side effects of the Tdap and MCV4 vaccines for my 11-year-old daughter who has type 1? (8 Apr 2010)

13. Does celiac disease make it more difficult to control one's blood sugars? (7 Apr 2010)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts

Last Updated: Friday April 30, 2010 21:32:36