From San Diego, California, USA:

Where can I find a good source for answers to my daughters sex related questions? I have been looking for it and I cannot find a place where she will be able to find help for the many aspects of female sexuality that are, in one way or another, affected by diabetes.

This is a good question that no one has ever asked before, however, it covers a broad area and, without being more specific, I can only give you a general guideline. I assume that your daughter is sexually active. As a starting point, I would suggest that she speak with her gynecologist about her concerns particularly if she is having physical discomfort. She may be prone to recurrent yeast infections which can be treated. Bladder infections are not necessarily more frequent in women with well controlled diabetes and actually appear to be more related to the presence or absence of sexual activity. Nevertheless, some women may get bladder infections often and this can make intercourse uncomfortable. Studies are quite variable on causes of sexual dysfunction in women with diabetes. There can be both physical and/or psychological (depression being most common) issues. If the question is more practical in nature, such as options for birth control, then her gynecologist can address that as well. Thus, your question covers a lot of territory. Among the specialists available, I think that your daughter will get the information and guidance she needs.

Last Updated: Monday April 26, 2010 21:43:02