Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

I am preparing a packet of information for a New York state external appeal for a CGM. One basis for medical necessity of a CGM in my case is that I am a long term steroid user (both oral and intra-articular) and my dosage changes frequently depending on RA disease activity. This wreaks havoc with my blood sugar.

I would like to include evidence in my packet of the effects of steroids upon blood glucose control. I have scoured the Internet and asked medical professionals, but have not been able to find any related studies. Do you know of any documentation or studies on the topic that I could include with my packet? I do have lots of studies I'm including relating to CGM, but not relating to the effects of steroids.

Answer:

By purpose of extrapolation, it is well known that steroids raise blood sugars and intra-articular steroids increase blood sugars for five to seven days after injection. There is no recent data because this is well known. I have not seen any studies where steroid therapy has been monitored with continuous glucose monitoring.

Posted to Other Medications and Continuous Sensing