From Syracuse, New York, USA:

I am preparing a packet of information for a New York state external appeal for a CGM. One basis for medical necessity of a CGM in my case is that I am a long term steroid user (both oral and intra-articular) and my dosage changes frequently depending on RA disease activity. This wreaks havoc with my blood sugar.

I would like to include evidence in my packet of the effects of steroids upon blood glucose control. I have scoured the Internet and asked medical professionals, but have not been able to find any related studies. Do you know of any documentation or studies on the topic that I could include with my packet? I do have lots of studies I'm including relating to CGM, but not relating to the effects of steroids.

By purpose of extrapolation, it is well known that steroids raise blood sugars and intra-articular steroids increase blood sugars for five to seven days after injection. There is no recent data because this is well known. I have not seen any studies where steroid therapy has been monitored with continuous glucose monitoring.

Posted to Other Medications and Continuous Sensing