Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 2010

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Is there something to keep in the car that will be able to be seen if there is a accident of any sort that will tell people that our daughter has type 1 diabetes, if were are not able to help? (31 May 2010)

2. Is there a user friendly electronic diary available for monitoring of daily blood sugar, diet, and exercise/activity, some sort of personal digital assistant? (31 May 2010)

3. My son had a random blood sugar of 83 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L]. Is that normal for a three-year-old? Would a low blood sugar cause a low body temperature? (28 May 2010)

4. Since his first episode of DKA last July, my son has had nausea. He tested negative for celiac and his thyroid is fine. Treatment for acid reflux has not helped. Could he have a chemical imbalance caused by the DKA that is causing the nausea? (27 May 2010)

5. I am embarrassed by the small bumps that have appeared in the places where I inject insulin. How can I get rid of them? (26 May 2010)

6. My son has had slightly elevated fasting and random blood sugars. Can puberty and massive growth spurts account for elevated blood glucose levels in a non-diabetic child? Could something else contribute to increased blood sugar levels? (26 May 2010)

7. Since his mom is not rotating injection sites, my nephew has scar tissue at the often used sites. Is this common? How many sites should they be using? They do not have access to a pediatric endocrinologist in Barbados. (26 May 2010)

8. Should I include a provision in my daughter's 504 plan that the school provide carbohydrate counts for the meals it is serving so my daughter can eat them? (25 May 2010)

9. With a C-Peptide of 1.8 and a blood glucose of 283 mg/dl [15.7 mmol/L], what kind of diabetes do I have and how should it be treated? (23 May 2010)

10. What is the criterion for when to seek help from a doctor for an abrasion? My grandson has an abrasion that has begun oozing pus. (18 May 2010)

11. Are endocrinologists using Symlin for type 1 diabetes mellitus in addition to Humalog? Could it help prevent weight gain? (17 May 2010)

12. What are the long-term effects of a child having blood sugars in the 300 to 400 mg/dl [16.7 to 22.2 mmol/L] range? (17 May 2010)

13. Our 11-year-old was diagnosed with type 1 in January. His 17-year-old brother was just diagnosed. What are the odds of such happening? Did our older son's Menactra vaccine contribute to his diagnosis? (13 May 2010)

14. After six months on a pump, my daughter is still having highs and lows and I just don't know how to find a happy medium. What do you suggest? Our endocrinologist has indicated that it just takes time. (11 May 2010)

15. My husband had a 9.6 mmol/L [173 mg/dl] fasting test. What does this mean? How is this different from an A1c? (5 May 2010)

16. Diagnosed with gastroparesis, my daughter has been placed on a feeding tube. She is still having difficulties. Is there a more effective way of treating this? (5 May 2010)

17. My son adjusted to his diagnosis quickly in early 2009, but, recently, has become very anxious, both at school and at home. How can I help him get beyond the anxiety? (4 May 2010)

18. Could my son's body have been releasing extra cortisol during what I think were undetected lows? Is it possible for someone to experience the release of extra cortisol and experience Cushing's-like symptoms without actually having Cushing's syndrome? (4 May 2010)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts

Last Updated: Monday May 31, 2010 08:39:32