Question:

From Jaipur, Rajsthan, India:

My C-Peptide test was 1.8 with a blood glucose level of 283 mg/dl [15.7 mmol/L]. A sonography of my pancreas shows some bulkiness in it. I am 26 years old. I have had diabetes for a few months. What type of diabetes do I have and how should be it treated?

Answer:

Most patients with type 1 diabetes have low C-Peptide levels. Yours is still measurable. However, the C-Peptide level is relatively low for the glucose level. I do not know what the significance of the ultrasound findings are. Without all of your clinical parameters, I cannot be sure, but it sounds most likely that you have type 2 diabetes.

Last Updated: Sunday May 23, 2010 17:40:16