From Connecticut, USA:

My 13-year-old daughter wants to eat the food that is served in the school's cafeteria. Since her school is a public school, can I require that the school provide the carbohydrate count for the lunch and breakfast menus and put this in her 504 plan?

Many school districts have carbohydrate counts and nutritional information for school cafeteria menu selections available on-line. If your school district does not have this information, encourage your school nurse and district food service manager to work with a registered dietitian to provide this tool. We strongly recommend incorporation into your child's Section 504 Plan or IEP. For help with a specific school discrimination problem, call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES and review the information and materials at the ADA's web page on Diabetes Care at School.

Posted to School and Daycare

Last Updated: Tuesday May 25, 2010 19:46:00