Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

My 13-year-old daughter wants to eat the food that is served in the school's cafeteria. Since her school is a public school, can I require that the school provide the carbohydrate count for the lunch and breakfast menus and put this in her 504 plan?

Answer:

Many school districts have carbohydrate counts and nutritional information for school cafeteria menu selections available on-line. If your school district does not have this information, encourage your school nurse and district food service manager to work with a registered dietitian to provide this tool. We strongly recommend incorporation into your child's Section 504 Plan or IEP. For help with a specific school discrimination problem, call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES and review the information and materials at the ADA's web page on Diabetes Care at School.

CJ

Posted to School and Daycare

Last Updated: Tuesday May 25, 2010 19:46:00