From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

I just took my son to the hospital on April 21, 2010 because of a low temperature, but they couldn't find out what was wrong. I had asked them to take his 8 hour fasting blood sugar before he ate but they didn't do that. I was wondering where his levels were and the meter read 83 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L]. Is this okay for a three-year-old boy? Also, I notice that every time my son wakes up from a nap or from a night of sleep, he always wants sugary cereal. Is that his body telling him that he need more sugar? Also, can low blood sugar cause body temperature to drop? We also have to see the doctor on the 26th of April. Should I test his sugar with a meter and write it down for the so the doctor can do a comparison?

An 83 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L] glucose is perfectly normal for a three-year-old. Children wake up hungry and, here in America, many want the sugary cereals--good old t.v.! I doubt the sugar is low, but you can always ask and monitor the glucose at home.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other

Last Updated: Friday May 28, 2010 17:25:20