Question:

From Newburgh, New York,USA:

My six-year-old grandson wears a pump. Sometimes his infusion set comes off when he sweats. What can I do to prevent this? I would like to take him swimming.

Also, where can I find a summer camp to accommodate him?

Answer:

Pump sites should last two to three days. If not, we usually see that the issue is one of three things: First, soap that is moisturizing such a Dove or any moisturizing liquid or bar soaps. Use a non-moisturizing soap and most of the time this fixes the issue. Second, If you use numbing cream such as Emla or ElaMax, you must wash this off completely before inserting the infusion set. Wiping it off is not enough. Use a washcloth and a liquid antibacterial soap.Or, third, sunscreen can make infusion sets come off. Summer is a great time to rotate to the buttocks where sunscreen will not be an issue.

NB

[Editor's comment:

Please see our listing of Camps in New York. You should be able to find other camps through the Google or Yahoo web sites. You would have to contact the camps directly to determine if they would be appropriate for your grandson.

BH]

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Daily Care

Last Updated: Wednesday July 14, 2010 09:49:12