Question:

From Ohio, USA:

The last two times I went to the doctor, my albumin was a bit high so I started taking an ACE inhibitor. This time, my albumin was fine (4.3, with normal being 3.5 to 5.6.) but my creatinine was low (0.5, with normal being 0.7 to 1.2.). Total protein was 7.2 (normal is 6.0 to 8.5.). My GFR (glomerular filtration rate) was 140.6, but my creatinine GFR was 0.5 (normal 0.7 to 1.2.). I do not know what all these tests are, but want to make sure that I am doing all I'm supposed to be doing to keep my kidneys working. Are the low creatinine and low creatinine GFR bad? My last A1c was 6.3. I have been diabetic for 11 years and am on a pump. My doctor had written "labs look good" on my copy of my results. Is she right?

Answer:

Your results sound fine. You can think of the creatinine as a substance that builds up when your kidneys are not working well. A high creatinine in the blood is a bad thing. With the initiation of an ACE inhibitor, you have had a good response to the elevated albumin excretion in your urine. I would feel reassured. Your physician is giving you the correct interpretation.

Posted to Other Medications and Complications

Last Updated: Tuesday July 27, 2010 19:57:06