Question:

From Lewiston, Idaho, USA:

Is there a protocol for an insulin pump user to follow after using glucagon to work sugars back down prudently without causing another low sugar?

Answer:

I would consider glucagon use a rather rare event. This would have to be evaluated and treated based on sick day protocols. Our center does not use a protocol and would not necessarily recommend one since the response to glucagon could be variable. Some patients may not respond with high sugars. Since glucagon is used for loss of consciousness, use of glucagon should be followed with contact with physician. High blood sugars should be managed with intermittent high blood sugar boluses. However, I would be conservative in how fast the glucose level should be brought back into range so as to avoid hypoglycemia again.

Posted to Other and Hypoglycemia

Last Updated: Tuesday August 24, 2010 10:37:04