From Petaluma, California, USA:

I have four children. My boys were both diagnosed with type 1 five years ago, when they were eight and 11. We have our girls participating in the TrialNet study to test for antibodies. So far, the tests have been negative, but the girls are now eight and 11, the same age their brothers were when they were diagnosed. Are the chances of them developing diabetes greater because they have two siblings with this disease or is it still a 1 in 10 chance as if they only had one sibling with the disease? Neither my husband or I or our parents or siblings have diabetes.

The risks are somewhat higher with two siblings instead of just one.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity and Research: Causes and Prevention

Last Updated: Wednesday September 15, 2010 08:36:10