From Seattle, Washington, USA:

My son, who is in 6th grade, is struggling with his school routine. They have him testing three times a day even though the doctor only recommended once. They keep threatening to send him to a different school farther away that has a full time nurse. I feel this would be very damaging to him. What are my rights to keep him at his current school?

The school needs to follow your child's doctor's orders. Why does the school feel it necessary for your son to check three times? Federal and Washington state laws provide protections for students with diabetes. Please give the American Diabetes Association a call to discuss this at 1-800-DIABETES and review the materials and information on our web page on Diabetes Care at School.

Posted to School and Daycare

Last Updated: Wednesday October 13, 2010 08:43:40