From Colfax, California, USa:

My seven-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. My husband, her father, has had type 1 diabetes for 26 years (he was three years old when he was diagnosed). Our daughter started wetting the bed, urinating often, was very emotional and easily distracted. We tested her blood sugar and she was 415 mg/dl [23.1 mmol/L]. We took her to the hospital where she was also diagnosed with a UTI. They prescribed antibiotics for her. We finished the round of antibiotics and she says the pain has gone away. Now, she leaks urine during the day and wets the bed every night. She is also having to go to the bathroom a lot again even though her blood sugar levels are under control. Of course, we are still fine tuning her insulin amounts and trying to figure out a plan for her. Hopefully, she will go on an insulin pump soon. I'm going to bring this up with her doctor but I also wanted to see what the diabetes team thinks about it. Do you think she could still have a UTI or is this something else?

Your pediatrician will be able to do urine testing to make sure that her UTI has resolved. I would encourage you to seek follow-up with your pediatrician for any problems she may be having.

Last Updated: Wednesday October 13, 2010 15:41:58