Question:

From San Diego, California, USA:

My daughter is on about four shots a day trying to manage her blood sugar. Her endocrinologist has okayed her moving to a pump. However, looking at the pump web sites, it is very confusing as first time users to know what to look for and which ones are the most popular. Do you have any suggestions? What is the most popular pump for little girls?

Also, my daughter is going through mood swings. I notice that she gets that way primarily when her levels are over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. I brought it up with her endocrinologist and he seems to think its just her developing an attitude and going through pre-teens. I am not so sure and am giving her the benefit of doubt, blaming it on the sugar levels. How can I help her deal with high sugars and feeling crappy?

Answer:

There are several pumps on the market - each with advantages and disadvantages. You should seek assistance from your diabetes educator and your diabetes physician to see which pumps are supported in your area.

Mood swings are common in kids whether they have diabetes or not. Your physician will be able to help you determine if the mood swings represent a psychological or psychiatric problem. Most of the time, it's just part of growing up. Doing your best to help her control blood sugars is a great start to improving mood swings and general diabetes care. Hopefully, moving to a pump will help to normalize blood sugars for your daughter.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Behavior

Last Updated: Thursday October 21, 2010 17:25:48