Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from November 2010

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. What is your recommended rule of thumb for converting to an injections strategy in the event of a pump failure and a replacement pump is not available for, say, 48 hours? (30 Nov 2010)

2. My grandson is in a four year honeymoon during which he eats a very low carbohydrate diet and exercises. His recent fasting blood sugar was 117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L]. He has yet to be seen by a pediatric endocrinologist. What do you think of this situation? (30 Nov 2010)

3. Since she has been behaving differently and complaining of thirst, I have checked my daughter's blood sugar. The highest pre-meal reading was 8.9 mmol/L [160 mg/dl]. Do you agree with me that this seems a bit elevated? I have had type 1 for 25 years. (30 Nov 2010)

4. Other than pregnancy, what are the possible reasons for a very sudden increased insulin requirement? I have had type 1 for seven years and my diabetes has been stable for years. (23 Nov 2010)

5. I bought a supplement to help me gain weight, but it has a lot of carbohydrates. The package says it is not for those with diabetes. Is this safe for me to take? (19 Nov 2010)

6. My young son's blood sugars are crazy, with highs from exercise, lows that take a long time to correct and nighttime highs. How can I gain better control? (17 Nov 2010)

7. The doctor said that, based on pathology reports, our son has both type 1 and type 2. Can you help us understand this diagnosis. If this is correct, what is the typical treatment plan? (17 Nov 2010)

8. Could you please explain "rebounding?" (16 Nov 2010)

9. Can you provide some written guidelines for young teens with respect to what diabetes "tasks" they should be expected to do? (11 Nov 2010)

10. My eight-year-old daughter's last urine test showed protein. The nurse suggested more tests to confirm this. Can the protein be there because my daughter was not fasting? If further tests show protein, what's next? (6 Nov 2010)

11. Is there any place where I could donate some new, opened blood glucose meters? (3 Nov 2010)

12. Our pediatrician is concerned that our son is developing type 1 diabetes due to an elevated blood sugar at a well-check visit. Is it possible that the high was just a "blip" and is not indicative of diabetes? (3 Nov 2010)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts

Last Updated: Tuesday November 30, 2010 22:08:22