Question:

From New York, USA:

I was going to travel to Africa last year but was not available to do so. I was given 11 new blood glucose monitors by the Rotary Club of Surrey in British Columbia. They are the Accu-Check Compact Plus models. They are new, in boxes, with all contents. The strip barrels may be outdated and the batteries may be run down, but it would be a waste to just leave them in my closet. Where could I donate them?

Answer:

The challenge for all donations of diabetes products in other countries isn't the initial donation - it’s the continued access to consumables like test strips. Unless that glucose meter is common in the country you will visit, you're probably better off finding someone local who can use it. Also, importing medical products into other countries is highly regulated and you should always check local laws before you try to bring anything in.

I am unaware of any place in the U.S. where you could donate the meters.

JSH

Last Updated: Wednesday November 03, 2010 15:21:48