From Mumbai, Maharashtra, India:

I am 19 and have type 1 diabetes. I have joined a gym and want to gain weight. I have purchased a supplement that has 1250 calories, 40 calories from fat, total fat 4.5 grams, 252 grams of total carbohydrates, 20 grams of sugar, 50 grams of protein. With more than 250 grams of carbohydrates per 334 gram serving, I would like to know if it is okay to take this. Are there any other good supplements to help me gain weight? The supplement I bought says it should not be consumed by pregnant women or those with diabetes.

The major problem with this plan is the amount of carbohydrate in the supplement. This is a large amount of carbohydrate to take and your insulin will have to be increased significantly to allow you to take it and not have high blood sugars. To do so should mean that you should work with your physician locally and let him/her know you are doing this so they can help you if your sugars go high.

Posted to Other and Weight and Weight Loss

Last Updated: Friday November 19, 2010 10:11:04