From Saginaw, Michigan, USA:

Should children with type 2 diabetes, who are not on insulin, have a glucagon emergency medication available to treat severe hypoglycemia? I am a school nurse and normally we prefer to have glucagon available for our diabetic students.

I would recommend checking with the student's health care provider, but, in general, a student would not have a prescription for glucagon unless the student were taking insulin. Severe hypoglycemia, where it is unsafe to treat with carbohydrates by mouth and thus requiring glucagon, is unlikely to occur with the treatment of oral medications for diabetes.

Posted to Other and School and Daycare

Last Updated: Tuesday January 04, 2011 23:02:30