From Kentucky, USA:

My daughter uses NovoLog and Levemir flex pens. We are seeing a new doctor who wants her to switch to Lantus. I thought Levemir and Lantus were the same. Her last two A1cs were 8.9, which I know is too high. However, I feel she is not strict with her insulin routine and diet causing the high blood sugars.

Levemir and Lantus are both long-acting insulins manufactured by different companies. Each is patented and has met Food and Drug Administration requirements for use in the U.S. Your daughter's physician has a preference for the Lantus. However, many physicians use these insulins interchangeably. You will have to ask your physician why he/she prefers Lantus over detemir (Levemir) to know why he/she made this request. I would not consider this a request for inferior therapy.

Posted to Insulin Analogs

Last Updated: Friday January 07, 2011 21:33:44