From Montgomery, Alabama, USA:

My daughter has a severe head cold, stuffy nose, occasional scratchy throat and serious sinus drainage at times. I don't want to continue to take her to the doctor to receive antibiotics for sinuses. Is there anything I can give her that will ease her discomfort, something I can use to treat her at home?

In general, over-the-counter cough and cold preparations can occasionally be used safely with kids older than age six that have type 1 diabetes. During any illness, I would recommend increasing the frequency of blood sugar testing - and checking ketones in the event of any illness, abdominal pain, vomiting or unexpected high blood sugars. Most cough and cold preparations have warnings against use by people with diabetes. There are "diabetes safe" versions of most available. I would definitely check with your pediatrician and pharmacist for the best advice about what you can safely use for your child.

Posted to Other Medications

Last Updated: Thursday March 03, 2011 17:47:16