Question:

From Israel:

My 17-month-old daughter was diagnosed yesterday with type 1 diabetes. We started her on the OmniPod Pump, but I would like to get a second opinion about what pump is best for a child her age.

Answer:

I would recommend either Medtronic or Animas pumps because they can deliver the smaller basal rates. Though some people can use diluted insulin to achieve smaller rates, not all pediatric endocrinologists recommend diluting insulin. Also, these pumps allow the parent to bolus via a remote control. Finally, the pump one chooses may depend on availability; not all pumps are available in all parts of the world.

NB

Additional comments from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

My best to you and your family during this stressful time. I hope that you will find good information and support on this web site. As far as which pump is best for your child, that would be up to the individual's needs and preferences. It may be best to speak to a health care provider that knows you and your child, and review the different features of the insulin pumps that available in your area. You can also review information on Insulin Pump Therapy at this web site to learn more.

LM

Posted to Insulin Pumps

Last Updated: Tuesday March 29, 2011 09:41:56