Question:

From Townsville, Queensland, Australia:

My 14-year-old son is has had type 1 diabetes for three years. Last September, he went on a pump. At his latest yearly check-up, a young dietitian told him he could eat whatever he liked, basically, whether it be fatty or sugary as long as he enters the carbohydrates in his pump. Up until now, he has had good control with his pump but I am pretty sure this will now not be the case as he is doing exactly what the dietitian told him, "Eat what ever you like." A nine-year-old boy on a pump was told he could eat a whole bag of lollies if he likes because he's on a pump. Does a pump actually give a type 1 diabetic this much freedom? I feel this is not the case as it goes against everything I have been previously taught.

Answer:

The dietary advice I typically give my patients is that they should avoid simple sugars when possible (sweet foods). Having a healthy, well-balanced diet is important for all kids. A pump is not a license to eat anything a child wants.

[Editor's comment: See also a previous answer to a similar question. BH]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Insulin Pumps

Last Updated: Wednesday May 04, 2011 15:55:36