Question:

From Rocky Mount, Virginia, USA:

My daughter has had diabetes for eight years. She uses an insulin pump with a CGMS. Her colon is slowing with motility issues. She sees a gastrointestinal specialist for this and has tried everything they suggest. Is this common for diabetic children with uncontrolled blood sugars to experience colon disorders after so long? And, are there any other problems for which the gastrointestinal doctors should be looking? Celiac has been ruled out.

Answer:

I have practiced pediatric diabetes for over 30 years. While neuropathy involving the gastrointestinal tract is certainly reported, I just don't see it much in children and certainly not with this duration of diabetes, whatever the control. So, I really am reluctant to blame the diabetes. I expect your endocrinologist is, too. I think you need to continue to pursue the gastrointestinal route and, if they really believe it is related to neuropathy, do studies to document the same. Also, just to be simple...make sure her thyroid is okay...that clearly is common in children with diabetes.

Last Updated: Tuesday August 09, 2011 10:25:26