Question:

From Calgary, Canada:

My sister is having twins and I was wondering if her saving one of the twins' stem cells could be used in the future to help my daughter should stem cell transplants be done on those with type 1? This is my daughter's cousin and I don't know if it has to be a brother or sister who has to donate the stem cells. Please advise before the twins arrive.

Answer:

In general, the closer the relative, the better the possible "match" for any transplant of tissues or cells of any kind. First cousins are certainly "closer" genetically than more distant relatives, but several steps removed from first degree relatives such as parents or siblings or children. Most storage of stem cells is still considered research, however, and is fairly expensive.

Posted to Research: Cure

Last Updated: Thursday September 22, 2011 11:57:26