From Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA:

I've had type 1 diabetes for 32 years. I've never had a heart attack or any stents. I take a number of medications daily, including Plavix. Should someone who has never had a heart attack or stents be on Plavix? I am taking medications for high blood pressure and cholesterol.

The American Diabetes Association Clinical Guidelines indicate that Plavix is an appropriate substitution for aspirin in aspirin-allergic patients. This may be an indication for the drug, if you are allergic to aspirin. Otherwise, I would suggest you discuss this with your physician.

Posted to Other Medications

Last Updated: Wednesday February 08, 2012 13:09:34